March 5, 2019
Wy’east UUC Board Minutes
Tuesday, March 5 , 2019
Meeting called to order at 7:00 pm
Present: Daniale, Hadrian, Craig, Paul, Marcy, and Mathias
Meeting Minutes-review and approval
Moved and approved
1) Sermon preparation for 2019. Newsletter columns, etc.
2) Phone calls, e-mails. Pastoral calls and visits, meetings with congregational leaders.
3) Colleague consultation
4) Martial arts and Spanish language study continue.
5) Path to Membership meeting organized by Linda B happened Sunday with 2 new members. Child dedication ceremony being planned for April (Craig and Lana)
6) Worked with UUA International Outreach director Allison Hess in posting Hmong translation of UU Principles/ Sources/Purposes, prepared by Bie’s parents under her guidance. Will be working with Allison to develop editing/review criteria for further translations.
7) Next Planned Giving meeting scheduled for March 2 or 9
8.) May have a minister on call for the summer, especially in case of a memorial, for his month off in the summer. $50/hour is the usual rate, and would be paid for by the family for the memorial, but we may need pay some hourly rate and may need to budget $200. More concrete details on this next time from Craig.
- Church Management Software
- Donate Button on Website
The news is good! With monthly income of 5360 (compared to the projected amount of 3920) and expenses of 6652 (just below budgeted amount of 6906), we're at a deficit of 1292 for the month. That's significantly less than the projected deficit of 2985 for the month. For the year, we're still at a surplus of over 1800, whereas we had budgeted for a deficit of 500-600.
-Church Management Software:
- Ministry Tracker: member portal and admin login $45/month...increase of $30/mo
- Has a donate button for the website option
- User friendly and good reviews, support good so far
- Pledge tracking and accounting, so would maybe prevent some redundancy
- Multiple people could access and would know what is going on. Combines Church Db, and Quicken.
- You can pay month-to month to trial longer than the free trial…$135...for a trial to maybe try it alongside what we currently have.
- There would be a $50/hour to sync data.
- Mathias would be willing to do this maybe in May or June and overlap with the new treasurer.
- We will come back to this later, so we can find money in the budget for it to trial.
Worship Committee Report
- There have been tweeks to the script, and transitional music
- Booked up throughout the year for the services
- Getting more worship associates
- Things are going well...trying to make it more worship friendly
Special Meeting--conversation points about any actions suggested from the strategic planning report, note-taker?
- Slideshow is ready
- Marcy will be notetaker
- Will ask the congregation to ponder the top areas and if anything calls out to them to please contact the board. Then maybe it could be moved to a committee later.
UUA General Assembly (and materials)
- Applications for scholarships: people who demonstrate leadership in the Wy’East community would be given preference
- We have to have a delegate or 2 that attends the business meetings: they start early, go for a long time, and are not as fun as other things...there is more responsibility for this role.
- Depending on the amount of people interested, we can cover part or all of the part-time or digital attendance, depending on how many people desire to go.
- Daniale will get an email out to people, to respond before the next Board meeting 4/2/19
Cards to former members
- Marcy will send the thank you cards to the former members
Canvas Committee (this item will be the main focus of the meeting)
- Hank is the chair-person for the committee
- Hank, Matt, and Bruce are in the committee
Mathias has a “budget changes” document going for the next year and is asking the committee chairs if they anticipate any changes.
- RE may have a higher budget for middle age children
Salary would maybe be higher for RE, childcare,
- How much...is still a question
- Several categories still have an unused budget amount...next year maybe at the beginning of the year remind each committee that they can get reimbursements
Rent--will increase 4% in August 2019 for Rose City Presbyterian. HSC we don’t have a current lease.
- We need to get a lease for legal purposes
Marcy asked how she will know when members have left. Canvas will let her know if the pledges are not coming back and no word from congregants. That will trigger me to email/send them the note regarding their membership.
-Assuming a 3% cost of living increase, last year’s budget of 80,000 would = $82,400 -2,400 for donations. So we will ask for $80,000 for pledges and Mathias will let Canvas Committee know.
-Treasurer role is a heavy responsibility and a lot of trust...should it be compensated?
Confirm Next Meeting Date: 4/2, 7pm
Moved and approved
Respectfully submitted by Marcy S