June 5, 2018
Wy’east UUC Board Minutes
Tuesday, June 5, 2018
Meeting called to order at 7:00
Present: Bruce, Barbara, Mathias, Craig, Hadrian, Daniale, Marcy, Paul
Meeting Minutes-review and approval
- Bruce moves to approve the minutes as written, Barbara and Mathias second, all approve, motion moved.
- April’s report is Here
- You may notice that we did significantly better than expected for the month, coming out with a surplus for April of $859, where the budget predicted a slight deficit of $32. This was accounted for by monthly income of $6134, just slightly below the $6299 budgeted, and monthly expenses of $5275, more than $1000 below that budgeted. Our below-budget expenses may have been accounted for to an especially significant extent by a low number of DRE hours for the month, as well as continuing our trend of lower-than-expected worship expenses. Our combined bank account balances stand at $54692.30, with an increase of $8648.34 for the year.
- As of this date, we are above our projected budget for this time of the year, which bodes well for our budget deficit for next year.
- Mathias will consult w/ D’on to prepare the spreadsheets for next year, get Marcy and Hadrian on board to be able to sign checks for the board, and is in the process of making a reimbursement request form to use.
- New statewide payroll tax is coming, and Mathias will incorporate this into the budget.
RCPPC Rent Increase
- $3 a month for the next year (from $106-$109)
Worship Committee Report
- Only looking for one speaker over the summer, otherwise all spots are covered.
- Music will be taking the summer off, and will be looking to make a request to attend the UUMN conference.
Minister’s Report & Mission/Vision Progress
- Minister's contract Renewal
- Minister's Report
- Going to think of more “single sessions” events because the 7 session opportunity didn’t generate much interest.
- A member, Chris B, was up on the GA conference website, and signed the membership board in 2011, but has not been very active. Daniale will contact Chris to check in.
- Daniale will ask Anders to put the mission statement on the website since it was approved at the annual meeting
General Assembly Delegates and Credentials
- Last year, Barbara and Lana were delegates
- June 20th-24th
- It’s not too late to sign up, there are some board discretionary funds ($367) that we could use to help pay the online cost, and Barbara will send out an email letting the congregation know
Rough criteria would be a member who is active
There is a “preparing for GA” link for delegates to familiarize themselves w/ the agenda. Additionally, last year, Craig, Barbara, and Lana met to plan and discuss things before it began.
- Just FYI: the delegates will need to be online for several hours, and be central time (this year).
- The online support is excellent
- The info for the GA is very helpful to prepare for the voting and agenda
- There is a “preparing for GA” link for delegates to familiarize themselves w/ the agenda. Additionally, last year, Craig, Barbara, and Lana met to plan and discuss things before it began.
Strategic Planning Committee
- The committee is preparing a report to present to the board, after which will be sent out via email, then have a congregational meeting after service sometime after labor day.
Election of Board Officers at Next Meeting
- First order of business next month will be to nominate board members for upcoming board year.
Each member clarified their role on the board
- Moderator: running the board meetings, putting forth the agenda, sending reminders, and asking for volunteers, knowing milestones throughout the church year, contact HSC and RCP as needed
- Secretary: taking notes during the board meetings and annual meetings, counting ballots, maintaining proxy and absentee ballots, contacting members who are no longer active
- Treasurer: Keeping a spreadsheet (Quicken) of income and expenses, writing checks, backing up and logging documents, maintaining the monthly budget reports that are shared w/ the board, preparing the budget for the end of the year, payroll, keeping up on taxes and payroll changes, as well as changes in the bills. There is a document called “Treasurer’s log” under Board Business on Google Docs
- Vice Moderator: in the absence of the moderator, runs meetings including the annual meeting, presents to the congregation at large when needed.
- Member at Large: Pitch in where needed
- Current Board Members are very flexible in their positions, overall. Hadrian M would like to be the At Large board member, Marcy S could probably do Secretary position, Daniale would be able to be Moderator.
Potential Future Systems for Electronic Donations
- Mathias has been in touch w/ Anders about adding a donation button on our website. They researched several options, Anders suggested Square--it’s fairly simple to use, and straightforward, with a 3% cost to square. The 3% could be an issue for pledges, which is worth considering.
- We will start with the button, but will need to continue discussing the “swipe” option as a way to collect pledges. Mathias will move forward and ask Anders to add the button to the website.
- Side note: can we set up an Amazon smile account?
Canvass Committee Report
The committee put the report together with some recommendations for next year’s success:
- Begin putting the committee together earlier, including naming the chairperson earlier
- We will email Barbara w/ any amendments or questions
- The committee put the report together with some recommendations for next year’s success:
Renewal of Minister’s contract
- Craig supports the renewal w/ the new dates
- There were some questions about the use of Minister’s Funds for the Martial Arts class, and where this falls as far as needing approval by the board.
- Mathias and Craig will meet to finalize the contract
- Confirm Next Meeting Date: 7/10, we’ll look at future dates next month
- Creating a document for potential volunteers, perhaps a check-list that could get funneled to the membership committee or a volunteer coordinator
- Directory and Canvassing: concerns about losing our foundation base. (Do people stay on as friends of Wy’east after being removed from the membership roster? Can we include these friends in our canvassing?)--Paul brought this up for consideration 5/1 in discussion of our current pledge deficit
- Mt. Hood Cluster: Barbara feels there is value in maintaining this relationship
- Training new people for jobs (tech jobs in particular)
Meeting adjourned unanimously at 8:28
Respectfully Submitted by Daniale