February 6, 2018

Wy’east UUC Board Minutes

Tuesday, February 6, 2018

 

Meeting called to order at 7:02

 

Present:  Bruce, Craig, Barbara, Daniale, Mathias, Paul

 

Meeting Minutes

  • Check-In

 

  • Meeting Minutes-review and approval, Bruce moves to approve, Mathias seconds, motion carries

 

  • Treasurer’s Report
    • Submitted via email
    • Our income and our expenses are under projections for the month.
    • In short, we remain right where we should be, even in light of the large pledges we've received thus far. Keep in mind, too, that this budget does not take into account the pledges made by the 3-4 new members we've recently added.
    • Barbara has been paying for Wy’east’s voicemail service, and will get Mathias the information for reimbursement--there is a telecom line in the budget for this.

 

  • Worship Committee Report
    • Copyright, specifically when recording sermons w/ music from the choir.  We need to make sure that the music is not recorded and put out on the website due to copyright laws
    • New communications are going well, though it appears we need to make sure that everyone is actually getting the new newsletter
    • Taking Joys and Sorrows off of the stage and modifying it a bit in the coming weeks, and perhaps a reminder about announcements vs Joys and Sorrows
    • People are coming forward to deliver “This I believe” sermons, as well as “Sermons in a Box” for this summer

 

  • Minister’s Report
    • Submitted via email
    • Lots of time spent mentoring a district minister this month
    • Mission Statement workshop is taking shape
    • UU History class is coming again with some different voices represented
  • Strategic Planning Committee
    • Has met twice since our last board meeting
    • Communication, Community Outreach, Spiritual Growth, Responsibility, Fellowship has been key focus areas
    • Started with Communication, and it became evident that there are some members of the congregation who are not receiving Wy’east digital communications.  Work is continuing to be done to remedy this.
    • The committee will make recommendations to the board for approval
    • Next steps may include looking at what other congregations are doing  that we could use to make Wy’East stronger.
    • RE is also one of the areas to be considered for growth, especially as it pertains to whether or not we should have a new facility

 

  • 2018 Canvass (budget, deadlines, goals)
    • Mathias has been working on a budget frame for next year.  He will check in with the committees of Wy’East and look at budgetary needs for next year.  He will also discuss w/ the board any large-ticket items (from building needs, staffing, and file cabinets)  Bruce believes rent should remain the same. D’on thinks we may need to add some to general supplies. We should update software from Church DB.  
    • Board Ponderings: should more money go to RE, part-time administrative assistant?  Wait and see what pledges are like?
    • Canvass sermon 3rd Sunday in March (3/18) (start date)
    • Finish date end of April (4/22)
    • Budget discussion 5/6 and move potluck
    • Annual Meeting 5/20
    • Committee:  Matt is willing to be on the committee, as well as Barbara D (as chair) and Helen O.  
    • Techniques to generate more enthusiasm for pledging/ being a member of Wy’East

 

  • Document Storage RCPPC
    • Some members are storing paper documents at file cabinets in their homes.  However, we would like to centralize these documents. There is a file cabinet in Craig’s office here at RCPCC.  Mathias and Bruce will coordinate the moving of the physical files.

 

  • Sharai Recognition
    • Bruce will extend an invitation for Sharai to come in so we can properly thank her

 

  • Regional General Assembly
    • Not many congregations have signed up, perhaps it should go out again w/ links to videos (Craig will do this)

 

  • Website Calendar & Security
    • Concerns were raised about the security, which Anders addressed in an email, and the board is satisfied with current security measures
    • Calendar--Theoretically, a chairperson from each committee could enter meeting dates into the calendar, unless HSC is using one of the rooms unbeknownst to us.  Perhaps Bruce could touch base w/ Amber @ HSC about when the rooms are not available.

 

Parking Lot:

  • Creating a document for potential volunteers, perhaps a check-list that could get funneled to the membership committee or a volunteer coordinator
  • Possibility of Matt and Mathias being volunteer piano players
  • Directory and Canvassing:   concerns about losing our foundation base.  (Do people stay on as friends of Wy’east after being removed from the membership roster?  Can we include these friends in our canvassing?)
  • Mt. Hood Cluster:  Barbara feels there is value in maintaining this relationship

 

  • Confirm Next Two Meeting Dates

March 6

April 3

Bruce moves to adjourn,   Mathias seconds, motion carries

Meeting adjourned at 8:38

 

Respectfully Submitted by Daniale L

 

Date: 
Tuesday, February 6, 2018