December 12, 2017

Wy’east UUC Board Agenda

Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Present: Bruce, Barbara, Daniale, Craig (via Skype), Mathias, Paul

 

Meeting called to order at: 7:03

 

Meeting Minutes:

  • Check-In

 

  • Meeting Minutes-review and approval
    • Barbara moves to approve, Bruce seconds, all approve, motion carries.

 

  • Treasurer’s Report
    • $265 for PDXWIT, which is on par w/ normal special collections
    • RE specific donation has been made
    • Surplus in November of almost $6,000
    • Projected expenses have been low and income has been high
    • Large spikes in September and November due to pledges
    • Overall:  we are doing well as far as the budget is concerned

 

  • Worship Committee Report
    • Bread service, Celebration of Light recently
    • Services going well, music seems to be growing: creating interest for newcomers
    • A few individuals have asked about becoming members:  clarification around any requirements outside of signing the book and making a pledge (there are no “set in stone” requirements; the class is optional, there is typically a conversation with Craig).  There is a short list of steps in one of the Wy’east 101 pamphlet available at service.  
      • Possibility of four (maybe five) new members towards the New Year (joining Craig’s Pathway to Membership class coming up).  Craig will continue to connect with potential members.  Mathias or Bruce will attend the meeting.  

 

  • Minister’s Report
    • Emailed 12/10/17
    • Craig will address gun violence in a few sermons next year
    • Helping interim minister
    • Bie is continuing to work on the Thai translation for the UU principles/sources, and there will be a button on the front page of the website for easy access.

 

  • Strategic Planning Committee
    • A lot of energy in the committee--a nice, large group of people, very engaged
    • Sussing out how the committee will work in connection with the board
    • Focus on the positive aspects, not get bogged down w/ any negatives
    • Met twice in November
    • Lots of research has been done, some regarding breakthrough congregations (which typically have a big change occur:  i.e., a large financial donation)
    • 16 year average of 8 people per year, we are slightly behind at this point, however it is unclear if this is by the church year or the calendar year.
    • ?  How will the group interact w/ the congregation?  Via the board first, then this will move to the congregation

 

  • Fiona Absence
    • One person has been interviewed w/another possible interview coming up.
    • We are looking for a permanent replacement (it’s up on the district website)
    • The wage has been bumped up a little bit

 

  • Coffee Hour & Snacks
    • Some frustration regarding social hour--difficult finding volunteers
    • There will be surveys put out getting some feedback from the congregation (i.e., how important are the snacks?  Scale back?  Reusable or disposable?)
      • Traditions vary across churches and religious practices
    • The committee has some action items to try to brainstorm this
    • A volunteer coordinator would be beneficial, but a big job, and a difficult role to fill

 

  • Congregational Endorsement Policy
    • There are specific rules about our role, and what we can do, as a religious non-profit
    • Anyone can send out anything via chat, but what would it mean to have it in a formalized newsletter--would it need to be voted on by the board or congregation?  
      • Sometimes social action/justice committees in congregations are seen to go in their own direction, not necessarily in line with the church--which can possibly not be effective if it is divisive.
      • The Social Justice committee at Wy’east has been a bottleneck that funnels to the board for approval--there is some verbiage around approval rate--if people are motivated around an issue, it can be done, but the bar is high
      • Daniale can bring this to the Social Justice Committee to get feedback regarding educating the congregation and/or changing vocabulary

 

  • Annual Congregational Certification
    • Mathias will follow up from the email that was sent

 

  • E-publications instead of paper copies
    • Prototypes are being built
    • Some money in worship to get help from a graphics person

 

  • Social Justice Committee: pairing up the special collection w/ the speaker of the day
    • Was this a good statement about the work of the social justice committee, or did the two focuses work against each other?  

 

  • Cluster Committee
    • The Cluster meets once a month
    • How is this shared?  Should it be an official Cluster Representative that meets with the board?
    • There are grants that other UU groups have had for various reasons.  Learning about this might benefit Wy’east somehow
    • Barbara can send out an email to the congregation asking if anyone else is interested
    • This is a good opportunity to connect with the greater UU community
    • Barbara can give the Board a report out at the next meeting

 

  • Burnout within the congregation--this is something to be sensitive around, but acknowledging when someone has gone above and beyond is important.

 

  • Schedule Next Two Meetings’ Dates & Times

January 9?

February 13?

  • The second Tuesdays are also the Race Talks, do we want to move this to the 1st Tuesday?
  • Jan. 2nd, Feb 6th:  Bruce will communicate with Craig and put it in the newsletter

Parking Lot:

  • Creating a document for potential volunteers, perhaps a check-list that could get funneled to the membership committee or a volunteer coordinator
  • Possibility of Matt and Mathias being volunteer piano players
  • Directory and Canvassing:   concerns about losing our foundation base.  (Do people stay on as friends of Wy’east after being removed from the membership roster?  Can we include these friends in our canvassing?)  

 

Meeting adjourned at 8:37

 

Respectfully Submitted by Daniale Lynch

 

Date: 
Tuesday, December 12, 2017